Phone Pal: Building an inclusive and connected community one phone call at a time
by Danielle Moffatt
Strathcona Place Society (SPS), a non-profit seniors’ centre provides various programs, events, outreach, resources and social services to adults 55 plus. They recently launched a Phone Pal program to provide ongoing telephone support to isolated seniors.
- Reduce feelings of isolation and loneliness;
- Reinforce positive coping skills;
- Support the independence of seniors;
- Resolve issues being faced by seniors by the Strathcona Place Outreach Team (SPOT) or other partnering outreach services;
- Ensure the safety of seniors; and
- Connect seniors with like-minded peers to build engaging relationships.
This service is being provided free in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. If you are interested in being contacted by a Phone Pal Volunteer or want to volunteer, email email@example.com.
SPS has also introduced a community blog for seniors to stay in-the-know. Information on topics such as gardening, finance, and health is being posted daily to bridge the information divide affecting seniors during the pandemic.
The community blog will also share current activities, campaigns and events. Visit https://strathconaplace.com/seniors-blog to learn more.
Sign up to receive bi-monthly story updates at firstname.lastname@example.org – put City Light News updates in the Subject line